Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Runaway Doodle






















Week Two of the online Strathmore Artist Workshop, Doodles Unleashed by Traci Bautista, produced what I call a runaway doodle. The object was to create a watercolor background using a variety of water soluble media such as paint, crayons and pencils. Apparently, my doodle wasn't about to become any one's background and decided to run away and join the doodle circus.
























I decided to start with a "warm up" piece on watercolor paper before attempting this lesson in my journal. Step one involved painting with watercolor using various sized brushes.
























Next came acyclic ink, and watercolor crayons and/or pencils. In retrospect, I should have stopped somewhere around this stage. But I didn't. I think the hardest part of this method of painting is knowing when to stop.
























I decided to add white gouache into the mix. This is when I had my "OH CRAP" moment. Oh crap! What have I done? What was I thinking? Why did I do that? I have this moment during every piece of art I make. Once I feel like I've already ruined a piece, I have no choice but to venture on and see what happens.


As you can see, once I get going it's hard to stop! I continued adding watercolor and gouache until I ended up with this--the runaway doodle. Does this look like a background to you? Me either.



















I think the cropped views are better than the whole shebang.


















Once again, I'm glad I took photos of the piece in process. It helps me see what I should have done or what I should do next time.








































Plus, I have digital files of the stages that I can never get back to again. I like this little view right here a lot. There's enough there to be interesting and it still has the spontaneity that was the goal of the exercise to begin with.

I started working on this lesson in my journal and I'll share that soon. Hopefully this time I'll quit before it gets away from me.

Happy doodling!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Must be something in the water...I just blogged about my week 2 project, too, and called it "Overworked" lol. I really like yours, though...and that last shot is amazing! Really cool.

Emie58 said...

I think your finished piece is fabulous!!!! Maybe it's meant to hang on your wall?

lori vliegen said...

runaway or not, your doodle is absolutely fantastic! i especially love the little treasures you're finding by cropping it......ooooh, tons of collage opportunities there!! xoxo

Jussara said...

Beuatiful and inspiring!!!

Unknown said...

really lovely! i love seeing the process. Every step is looking great!

Candace said...

Wow, you sure can doodle!