Sunday, July 24, 2011

Junk Journals from a Journal Junkie



























What do you do when you're a paper hoarder lover who can't bear to throw out a single scrap of paper that is visually interesting? You sew those scraps together and make junk journals out of them, what else? Can anyone ever have too many journals? I think not.





















Larger scraps and other fun paper become the journal pages. How many junk mail envelopes do you throw away in any given day? Put those suckers to good use.
























My scrap paper bin holds endless amounts of paper: book pages, wrapping paper, wallpaper samples, candy wrappers, brown paper bags, envelopes, maps, paper projects gone awry, and anything else that I can recycle and reuse. It's endless because I throw paper in there faster than I can possibly use it up.





















There are days when I sit at my sewing machine for hours randomly grabbing paper out of the bin and sewing it together crazy quilt style. It's just another way I like to relax. (When I'm not sewing little felt hearts or making marks with gouache.) It's almost hypnotic in a way.
























Sorry, Mom. I'm sure you never intended for your sewing machine to be used in this barbaric way.
























Yesterday's output. OK, it was really, really hot and the basement is so much cooler than the rest of the house.
























Pretty little snips of thread.
































So pretty that I like to keep them in a jar. (Hmmm. I'm beginning to think I may need help.)
























After many months plus hours of trial and error, I've figured out a way to turn the sewn scraps into journal covers that I'm happy with. I've also used this method to make postcards and now I'm experimenting with little junk boxes.
























I even made a few bitty junk journals with signature scraps left over from a few coptic journal projects. Even a take-out Chipotle bag found its way in there. I'm telling you--nothing is off limits when it comes to junk journals.

10 comments:

aimee said...

how cool are these?! i have such a passion for stitched paper but i cannot sew a stitch myself. your lines are so straight and perfect and i love how you incorporated your lettering and pieces from such varied sources. these pages take collage up a whole new level!

Deborah Weber said...

Oh these are simply wonderful! You work is always such a delight. And now I'll never be able to let a scrap go again. I'm not sure if I should thank you or not. ;-)

TJ said...

PAT! Not only do I love these journals, I nearly cried when I saw somebody else saves scraps from food packaging!!

Your blog is beautiful. I'm so grateful you took the time to leave a comment on my site, I cannot wait to get to know yours better.

Going to add you to my google reader right now! Best wishes from germany, tj

donna!ee said...

wonderful concept...you've encouraged me to give it a whirl. thank you much for sharing ... :)

Janell said...

So I guess I am in good company that I just found a Tootsie Pop wrapper in my paper bin??? Who knew it would be perfect for some other project. I'm trying to figure out how to remember that I need to change my sewing machine needle when I finish sewing paper. A dull needle just isn't good for 'real' quilting. But there's so much fun in doing other stuff too! Lovely journal covers. Must try this!

lori vliegen said...

i absolutely LOVE your scrappy journals......but, hmmmm......it looks suspiciously like collage to me. okay, just another reason for you to come down and be my collage tutor......yes, it's settled. :))

keep on havin' fun......this is the coolest thing i've seen in a long time!!! xoxo

Candace said...

Your constant creativity astounds me! Really. I would never think of doing any of that. You should have an etsy shop.

thesweetlife said...

I am so glad i found this site from one lover a paper to another now i don't feel so bad keeping everything. Hopefully I can create beautiful works of are art like you.

peace love happiness

updanzprof said...

Luv your ideas. I now know what to do with the lot of my letter envelopes, mini-sewing machine, clippings, and other memorabilia!

Junk Journal said...

Wonderful junk journal work! Would like to invite to participate in community junk journal weekly competition at www.junkjournal.com!