Friday, May 6, 2011

Can't Resist This

































Can't Resist This is the May theme over at The Sketchbook Challenge. Both the blog and the Flickr group have some interesting examples of sketchbook pages that use various resist techniques. I started this page last month and got as far as drawing the circles and lines in pencil with no clue where to take it next.
























Inspired by what others were doing with the theme, I thought I would join in and use a white crayon to create a resist around the circles and lines. I don't think I've used this simple technique since my grade school days! It brought back some very fond memories of childhood art classes. After putting down the crayon marks, I used my brand new Niji water brush and twinkling H2O watercolors to quickly add some color. It felt really good to splash the color on without worrying about keeping it contained in the shapes--the crayon did that job for me.
























I also couldn't resist adding some simple marks with gouache over the watercolor. In case you haven't noticed, I am completely smitten lately with using gouache to make the most basic lines, dots and marks. I find the process to be relaxing and meditative, and I really love the visual effect of the gradated color.

I'm not sure if this page is finished yet or not.  I'll have to dwell on it for a bit. In the meantime, I may try a few more resist techniques because there is something really fun and magical about the process.

1 comment:

Eden said...

Love your color choices and the white space created by your circles. I've never ever tried Gouche....want to though. Neat page, with your neat lettering I could see you journaling in the circles....Neat page :D