Monday, January 17, 2011

The Sketchbook Challenge - Pilgrim Progress
















Pilgrim and I have been spending a lot of time together. We had lunch almost every day last week; not to mention a few quiet evenings at home. I feel like I'm making progress--and at the same time, I don't. Maybe it's because she's just so darn big. Each spread measures roughly 13 x 24 inches. Or maybe it's because I've spent a lot of time thinking, planning, and experimenting along the way. The first 7-8 spreads are in the works, meaning I've done something on each page. But I keep going back and adding a bit more color, a bit more stamping, a bit more layering. I added more to the pages above after I took the photo.




















I wanted to have large areas of color and try some simple stenciling that would allow me to keep the text and photos intact. I played around with making my own "spray paint" using pigment ink refills that I've had around forever. I mixed the ink with water in small plastic spray bottles. The results are a little unpredictable--drippy and splotchy--but I don't mind.




















I recently bought a white "glaze" gel pen and decided to use it to write the title, place, and year on each photo. That pen is fabulous! It writes like a dream, is completely opaque, and raises up on the paper when dry. I like it so much I went back to the store and bought an entire set of colored ones which are transparent.

 














I've also added a few paper collage elements.




















































I still haven't done a whole lot with the January theme of "highly prized" although I've added a bit more to this spread since I showed it last. But I think that once I finish the beginning of the book where I'm working around the text, and have relatively empty pages (like this) to work with, I'll be able to focus more on the theme each month.




















The best part about spending so much time together is that Pilgrim and I are really starting to bond. We're not quite in the "baring our souls" phase but we're definitely moving past the polite conversation phase. I feel pretty invested in this pilgrimage and really hope I can see it through to the end.

3 comments:

trish said...

Fascinating seeing your progress. Especially liking the white glaze pen on the photos. Your hands are fabulous and I'm glad to see your writing in them!
PS...if you visit my blog you may see a familiar quote on a recent piece!

Anonymous said...

Looks really good so far. It's fun to have a project that speaks to you and that you can't wait to get back to.

lori vliegen said...

you and pilgrim have come a long way, baby......your journal is looking fantastic!! i think that your use of stencils is wonderful....really adds a lot of color to the page! bravo, girl!! xox, :)))